As a teacher summer is my time to paint. I will be traveling and painting which means I have to decide what to bring. That means I have spent countless hours debating what medium to paint in, what supplies to pack, what do I want to accomplish on my trip. Here is what made the cut his year:
- Two watercolor blocks, one cold press, one hot press.
- Paper towels.
- Sketchbook journals. The top one is my always carry sketchbook. The one below it is a travel sketchbook of location watercolors. The little red book is a smaller sketchbook for quick paintings.
- A bottle of homemade brandy. (It’s a gift and also a good way to get over paintings that don’t come out)
- My large tin. The top two rows are watercolors, the bottom two are gouache.
- Water sprayer.
- My small tin. 12 small gouache pans, I usually carry a tube of white gouache with it.
- Bottle for water.
- Jar for cleaning water.
- Small travel brush set, with a few extra small rounds.
- Gouache tubes.
- Brush pen, micron, mechanical pencil, fountain pen
- Fountain pen cartridges, kneaded eraser, black eraser and above a brush with internal water holder.
- An old fashioned folding ruler
What is not shown is the shoulder bag it all fits in, a emergency poncho, a hat, a knife for sharpening and a bottle of drinking water.
So compared to last time I was in Europe I went with gouache/watercolor over oils. Why? I don’t know, it just seemed right for this trip. So wish me luck, I will be sharing my paintings as I do them here and on instagram!