Here are the rest of the progress pictures of the “Feast” painting I have been working on. Since the last post it took two more painting sessions to get it all finished up. Let me show you how it went.
The biggest difference from the earlier stage is the wine glass. It was tough to paint. After posting the previous works in progress I couldn’t stand looking at the wine glass. It was too uneven to even think about leaving it how it was. I don’t think I was able to achieve perfect symmetry but this is as close as I could get. Aside from trying to fix the drawing of the glass I added all the details to make it look real. Let me tell you that a transparent glass has a lot of minute details that if you miss it looks like crap. My wine glass isn’t perfect but I think it came out pretty good. It was easier to achieve the transparent feeling of the bowl, which I finished after the glass.
Aside from general touch ups around the whole painting the I had some work to do. First I hit the pear, then the nectarines and last the plums. It was enjoyable painting and it went by pretty fast. It felt like I worked for an hour but it was more like 2 or 3. Before I knew it I was all done and ready to add my initials.
Doing this painting was a blast. I have never painted in oils and enjoyed it like this. I know that when I was in college painting in oils was torture and I guess something has changed. The biggest reason for the change I think is the water-soluble oil paints. It has added a whole new dimension not having the toxic turpentine around. I can honestly say that I can’t wait to start the next painting, I hope to have some sketches up soon.